This Challenge is open to any US business with participant(s) 18 years of age or older. No prior startup experience is required. A participant (i) an entity or (ii) an individual or group of individuals (i.e., a team assembled with the purpose of participating in this Challenge). To be eligible to win a prize under this Challenge, a Participant (whether an entity, individual, or group of individuals):
- Shall have registered to participate in the Challenge under the rules promulgated by NASA as published in this announcement;
- Shall have complied with all the requirements set forth in this announcement;
- The entity shall be incorporated in and maintain a primary place of business in the United States, and in the case of an individual, whether participating singly or in a group, shall be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States. However, non-U.S. citizens and non-permanent residents can participate as a member of a team that otherwise satisfies the eligibility criteria. Non-U.S. citizens and non-permanent residents are not eligible to win a monetary prize (in whole or in part). Their participation as part of a winning team, if applicable, may be otherwise recognized when the results are announced. Participation by non-U.S. citizens is subject to NASA export control regulations.
- May not be a Federal entity or federal employee acting within the scope of their employment;
- May not be an employee of NASA acting in their personal capacity.
- Who is employed by a Federal agency or entity other than NASA should consult with an agency Ethics Official to determine whether the Federal ethics rules will limit or prohibit the acceptance of a prize under this Challenge;
- May not be a judge of the Challenge, or any other party involved with the design, production, execution, or distribution of the Challenge or the immediate family of such a party (i.e., spouse, parent, step-parent, child, or step-child).
- Federal grantees may not use Federal funds from a grant award to develop their Challenge submissions or to fund efforts in support of their Challenge submissions.
- Federal contractors may not use Federal funds from a contract to develop their Challenge submissions or to fund efforts in support of their Challenge submissions.
- By participating in this Challenge, each Participant (whether an entity, individual, or group of individuals) warrants that he or she, or it is the sole author or owner of, or has the right to use, any copyrightable works that the challenge submission comprises, that the works are wholly original with the Participant (or is an improved version of an existing work that the Participant has sufficient rights to use and improve), and that the challenge submission does not infringe any copyright or any other rights of any third party of which the Participant is aware.
- By participating in this Challenge, each Participant (whether an entity, individual, or group of individuals) agrees to assume any and all risks and waive claims against the Federal government and its related entities, except in the case of willful misconduct, for any injury, death, damage, or loss of property, revenue, or profits, whether direct, indirect, or consequential, arising from participation in this Challenge, whether the injury, death, damage, or loss arises through negligence or otherwise
- Based on the subject matter of the Challenge, the type of work that it will possibly require, as well as an analysis of the likelihood of any claims for death, bodily injury, property damage, or loss potentially resulting from Challenge participation, no Participant (whether an entity, individual, or group of individuals) participating in the Challenge is required to obtain liability insurance or demonstrate financial responsibility in order to participate in this Challenge.
- By participating in this Challenge, each Participant (whether an entity, individual, or group of individuals) agrees to indemnify the Federal government against third party claims for damages arising from or related to Challenge activities.
- A participant (whether an entity, individual, or group of individuals) shall not be deemed ineligible because the Participant used Federal facilities or consulted with Federal employees during the Challenge if the facilities and employees are made available to all Participants participating in the Challenge on an equitable basis.
- By participating in this Challenge, each Participant (whether an entity, individual, or group of individuals) retains title and full ownership in and to their submission and each Participant expressly reserves all intellectual property rights (e.g., copyright) in their submission. The winners agree that their names and the titles of their submissions will be publicly posted on the NASA web site.
- NASA reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to (a) cancel, suspend, or modify the Challenge, and/or (b) not award any prizes if no entries are deemed worthy.
- Each Participant (whether an entity, individual, or group of individuals) agrees to follow all applicable Local, State, and Federal laws, regulations, and policies.
- Each Participant (whether an entity, individual, or group of individuals) participating in this Challenge must comply with all terms and conditions of these rules, and participation in this Challenge constitutes each such Participant’s full and unconditional agreement to abide by these rules. Winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements herein.